Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people with whom we serve, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Core Responsibilities: Ascendigo Ranch Interns work closely with the Ranch Program team to provide a safe and fun ranch experience for our participants. The internship includes educational components including but not limited to individualized feedback and evaluations, trainings and leadership opportunities. Ranch interns help the ranch team facilitate ranch activities with our participants including but not limited to; warm-up exercises, games on and off the horses, catching the horses, leading the horses, grooming, saddling, equine care and horsemanship. Ranch interns help in the feeding and caring of the animals as well as assist instructors in teaching equine care and beginner horsemanship skills in groups or private sessions. Interns work in close proximity with our campers and may need to assist with behavior prevention & mitigation and activities of daily living.
- Work with and around farm
- Work with clients who have challenging behaviors that may include physical aggression toward others.
- Work in an outdoor environment that requires situational awareness and quick
- Collaborates with Ascendigo Sports Specialists to create sport lessons plans and goals that meet the client’s needs.
- Act as a teacher and advocate for
- Build positive rapport with clients and facilitate FUN!
- Oversees client well-being and safety in a camp
- Work positively as a team with all Ascendigo staff
- Attend client and staff meetings and trainings as
- Communicate with staff effectively.
- Must have a clean background check with no felonies or flags
- Must provide a current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Applicants are required to have and use their own phone for work duties.
- Basic computer skills (MS Office, email, social media)
- Must be able to lift and move heavy objects (up to 25 pounds)
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.
With Room and Board: $375 per week Without Room and Board: $18 per hour