Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people with whom we serve, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Core Responsibilities: Ascendigo Ranch Sport Specialists work closely with the Ranch Program team to provide a safe and fun ranch experience for our participants. Ranch Sport Specialists constantly monitor the ranch location to ensure the safety of campers and staff alike. Ranch Sports specialists help the ranch team facilitate ranch activities with our participants including but not limited to; warm-up exercises, games on and off the horses, catching the horses, leading the horses, grooming, saddling, equine care and horsemanship. Ranch Specialists help in the feeding and caring of the animals as well as teaching equine care and beginner horsemanship skills in groups or private sessions. Specialists work in close proximity with our campers and may need to assist with behavior prevention & mitigation and activities of daily living such as toileting and hygiene.
- Work with and around farm
- Work with clients who have challenging behaviors that may include physical aggression toward others.
- Work in an outdoor environment that requires situational awareness and quick
- Collaborates with Ascendigo Coaches and Interns to create sport lessons plans and goals that meet the client’s needs.
- Act as a teacher and advocate for
- Build positive rapport with clients and facilitate FUN!
- Oversee client well-being and safety in a camp
- Work positively as a team with all Ascendigo staff
- Attend client and staff meetings and trainings as
- Communicate with staff
- Must have a clean background check with no felonies or flags
- Must provide a current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Should have at least a high school diploma.
- Applicants are required to have and use their own phone for work duties.
- Basic computer skills (MS Office, email, social media)
- Must be able to lift and move heavy objects (up to 25 pounds)
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.
With Room and Board: $435-$550 per week, prorated if part time Without Room and Board: $19-$23 per hour