Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people with whom we serve, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than 50 full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360° compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Core Responsibilities: Each week interns will be paired 1:1 with a camper that is a good fit for their personality, coaching style, and skill set. Interns help our participants with daily living and social skills and facilitate participation in therapeutic recreation. Interns will be assisting Sports Specialists with the implementation of our sports programs. Interns will work on a rotating schedule of day shifts, evening shifts, and occasional weekend shifts throughout the summer. During the evenings, interns will encourage social interaction and participation in group activities on and off campus. Interns will assist campers in morning/nighttime routines and hygiene such as toileting and bathing.
- Work directly with campers who have challenging behaviors which may include physical aggression towards others.
- Help campers formulate and work towards sports goals throughout the week.
- Assist the sports specialists with teaching progressions for sports such as: rock climbing, paddle boarding, kayaking, horse-back riding, biking, and wake sports.
- Work in an outdoor environment that requires situational awareness and quick thinking.
- Assist campers with hygiene such as toileting, bathing, and other daily living skills.
- Oversee camper well-being and safety in an outdoor camp setting.
- Communicate with caregivers and staff effectively.
- Build positive rapport with clients and staff, and facilitate FUN!
Physical Requirements/Equipment Used: Ability to spend full days outdoors being active and participating in sports such as rafting, rock climbing, boating, hiking, and horseback riding. Ability to learn new technologies related to disabilities. Applicants are required to have and use their own phone for work duties.
- Must be age 18 or over and have legal working status.
- Must have a clean background check with no felonies or flags
- Must provide a current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Should have at least a high school diploma.
- Applicants are required to have and use their own smart phone for work duties.
- Must be able to lift and move heavy objects (up to 25 pounds)
- Must successfully complete required trainings.
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.
With Room and Board: $375 per week Without Room and Board: $18 per hour